Most people need an attorney fairly infrequently — but, when the need does arise, choosing the right law firm to meet their needs can be very stressful. You can ask your friends and relatives for a referral or two, check with the local bar association and look through ads — but, in the end, you have to make the hard call about who you will hire.
Here are some things to consider when you’re making your choice:
- Why do you need an attorney? Some attorneys have very narrow specialties, like motorcycle law or disability claims. Others offer a broad spectrum of legal services, which makes them well-suited to manage most of the situations that are likely to affect your life.
- How much experience does the attorney have? If you have complex estate issues or regular business dealings, you may want an attorney who has been in practice for a while.
- Who will you work with? Some firms hand the majority of their clients off to paralegals. Other attorneys are deeply involved in their client’s cases from start to finish.
- What are their rates, and how does billing work? It’s always important to discuss the financial arrangements up-front so that you aren’t unpleasantly surprised later.
- How can you contact them? Do they make it easy for you to reach someone by email or phone when you need quick advice?
If you’re looking for a “lawyer for life” who can help you through most major transition points that you’re likely to experience, our office is what you’re seeking. Contact us for all your general estate planning services, real estate, family law and business legal needs. We understand that one area of your needs may affect another and know how to consider multiple angles for any situation.